Research Relevant to A&L Biologicals Work
Fadiji, A.E., Ayangbenro, A.S. & Babalola, O.O. Metagenomic profiling of the community structure, diversity, and nutrient pathways of bacterial endophytes in maize plant. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (2020).
Bomfim, C.S.G., da Silva, V.B., Cursino, L.H.S. et al. Endophytic bacteria naturally inhabiting commercial maize seeds occupy different niches and are efficient plant growth-promoting agents. Symbiosis (2020). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13199-020-00701-z
A&L Biologicals Publications
Peer reviewed (Since 2014)
1. Kandasamy S, Weerasuriya N, Gritsiouk D, Patterson G, Saldias S, Ali S, Lazarovits G. (2020). “Size Variability in Seed Lot Impact Seed Nutritional Balance, Seedling Vigor, Microbial Composition and Plant Performance of Common Corn Hybrids”. Agronomy. 10(2):157.
2. Ali, S., Saldias, S., Weerasuriya, N., Delaney, K., Kandasamy, S. and Lazarovits, G. (2020). “Corn microbial diversity and its relationship to yield”. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 66.999: 1-17.
3. Ali, S., Hameed, S., Shahid, M., Iqbal, M., Lazarovits, G. and Imran, A. (2020). “Functional characterization of potential PGPR exhibiting broad-spectrum antifungal activity”. Microbiological Research, 232, p.126389.
4. Kandasamy, S., Liu, E.Y.R., Patterson, G., Saldias, S., Ali, S. and Lazarovits, G. (2019). “Introducing key microbes from high productive soil transforms native soil microbial community of low productive soil”. MicrobiologyOpen, 8(10), p.e895. https://doi.org/10.1002/mbo3.895
5, Ali, S., Isaacson, J., Kroner, Y., Saldias, S., Kandasamy, S. and Lazarovits, G. (2018). “Corn sap bacterial endophytes and their potential in plant growth-promotion”. Environmental Sustainability, pp.1-15.
6. Izaguirre-Mayoral, M. L., Lazarovits, G., & Baral, B. (2018). “Ureide metabolism in plant-associated bacteria: purine plant-bacteria interactive scenarios under nitrogen deficiency”. Plant and soil, 428(1-2), 1-34.
8. Shennan, C., Muramoto, J., Koike, S., Baird, G., Fennimore, S., Samtani, J., Bolda, M., Dara, S., Daugovish, O., Lazarovits, G. and Butler, D. (2018). “Anaerobic soil disinfestation is an alternative to soil fumigation for control of some soilborne pathogens in strawberry production”. Plant pathology, 67(1), pp.51-66.
9. Lazarovits G et al. (2017). “A Road Map to Finding Microbiomes that Most Contribute to Plant and Soil Health”. J Microbiol Exp 5(3): 00153. http://medcraveonline.com/JMEN/JMEN-05-00153.php
10. Johnston-Monje, David, Steve Loewen, and George Lazarovits. (2017) "Mycobiomes of tomato plants with vine decline." Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology: 1-17.
11. Johnston-Monje, David, et al. (2016) "Bacterial populations in juvenile maize rhizospheres originate from both seed and soil." Plant and Soil 405. 1-2: 337-355. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11104-016-2826-0
12. Kurepin, Leonid V., et al. (2015) "Involvement of plant stress hormones in Burkholderia phytofirmans-induced shoot and root growth promotion." Plant growth regulation 77.2: 179-187. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10725-015-0049-7
13. Islam, Rafiq, Dean C. Glenney, and George Lazarovits. (2015) "No-till strip row farming using yearly maize-soybean rotation increases yield of maize by 75%." Agronomy for sustainable development 35.2: 837-846
14. Kurepin, Leonid V., et al. (2015) "Burkholderia phytofirmans-induced shoot and root growth promotion is associated with endogenous changes in plant growth hormone levels." Plant growth regulation 75.1: 199-207.
15. Turnbull, A. L., I. Campbell, and G. Lazarovits. (2014) "Resistance of bacterial communities in the potato rhizosphere to disturbance and its application to agroecology." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 79: 125-131.
16. Ali, Saira, et al. (2014) "Genetic, physiological and biochemical characterization of Bacillus sp. strain RMB7 exhibiting plant growth promoting and broad-spectrum antifungal activities." Microbial cell factories 13.1: 144.
17. Johnston-Monje, David, et al. (2014) "Impact of swapping soils on the endophytic bacterial communities of pre-domesticated, ancient and modern maize." BMC plant biology 14.1: 233.
18. Borrego‐Benjumea, A., et al. (2014) "Effects of incubation temperature on the organic amendment‐mediated control of Fusarium wilt of tomato." Annals of applied biology 164.3: 453-463.
19. Park, Jae Min, and George Lazarovits. (2014) "Involvement of hexokinase1 in plant growth promotion as mediated by Burkholderia phytofirmans." Canadian journal of microbiology 60.6: 343-354.
20. Shennan, Carol, et al. (2014). "Non-fumigant strategies for soilborne disease control in California strawberry production systems." Proceedings of International Research Conference on Methyl Bromide Alternatives. Vol. 16. 2012.
21. Bécquer, C. J., G. Lazarovits, and I. Lalin. (2013) "Interacción in vitro entre Trichoderma harzianum y bacterias rizosféricas estimuladoras del crecimiento vegetal." Revista Cubana de Ciencia Agrícola 47.1.
22. Turnbull, A. L., et al. (2013) "Evidence for tomato disease suppressive soils in south-western Ontario." Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. Vol. 35.: 1-4
23. Turnbull, Amy L., Yibin Liu, and George Lazarovits. (2012) "Isolation of bacteria from the rhizosphere and rhizoplane of potato (Solanum tuberosum) grown in two distinct soils using semi selective media and characterization of their biological properties." American journal of potato research 89.4: 294-305.
24. Wang, K., et al. (2012) "Rapid detection and identification of five pathogens associated with tomato corky root rot by real-time PCR." Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. Vol. 34.: 2-4.
1. Ali, Shimaila and Glick, B. R. (2019). “Plant-bacterial interactions that overcome abiotic stress.” New and Future Developments in Microbial Biotechnology and Bioengineering. Springer, India: 21 – 45 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128182581000029
2. Ali, Shimaila, et al. (2017) "Corn and Its Interactions with Bacterial Communities." Rhizotrophs: Plant Growth Promotion to Bioremediation. Springer, Singapore: 145-163.https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-10-4862-3_7
3. Ali, Shimaila, et al. (2017) “Endophytic Phytohormones and Their Role in Plant Growth Promotion.” Functional Importance of the Plant Microbiome: Implications for Agriculture, Forestry and Bioenergy. Springer book.
4. Mehnaz, Samina, and George Lazarovits. (2017) "Gluconacetobacter azotocaptans: A Plant Growth-Promoting Bacteria." Rhizotrophs: Plant Growth Promotion to Bioremediation. Springer, Singapore. 1-14.
5. Lazarovits G., Turnbull A., and Johnston-Monje D. (2014) “Plant Health Management: Biological Control of Plant Pathogens”. In: Neal Van Alfen, editor-in-chief. Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems, Vol. 4, San Diego: Elsevier; pp. 388-399. https://www.elsevier.com/books/encyclopedia-of-agriculture-and-food-systems/van-alfen/978-0-444-52512-3
6. Lazarovits, George, et al. (2013) "Unraveling the Rhizosphere Using the cpn 60 Genomic Marker and Pyrosequencing." Molecular Microbial Ecology of the Rhizosphere: Volume 1 & 2: 1129-1136.
K Wang, G Lazarovits, Y Liu, M Konopka, G Patterson - Biological control of cucumber green mottle mosaic virus
US Patent App. 16/558,069, 2020
Vincent, C., Goettel, M.S and Lazarovits, G. 2007. Editors. Biological Control: A Global Perspective, CABI Biosciences, 2007 ISBN: 9781845932657, 432 pages
Areas of Expertise
Plant Root Health
Characterization of Microbial Formulations